Klementinum is about a “must see” in Prague: one of its most spectacular places to visit. You will be fascinated by the majestic and the historical atmosphere of the Klementinum.
The Klementinum is a historic complex of buildings in Prague. It is currently in use as the National Library of the Czech Republic. In 2005, the Czech National Library received the UNESCO Jikji prize (Memory of the World).
Its history dates from the existence of a chapel dedicated to Saint Clement in the 11th century. A Dominican monastery was founded in the medieval period, which was transformed in 1556 to a Jesuit college. In 1622 the Jesuits transferred the library of Charles University to the Klementinum, and the college was merged with the University in 1654.
The Jesuits remained until 1773, when the Klementinum was established as a little observatory, library, and university by the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria.
The National Library was founded in 1781 and from 1782 the Klementinum was a legal deposit library. In 1918 the newly established Czecho-Slovak state took over the library.
Since 1990, it has been the National Library. It contains a collection of Mozartiana, material pertaining to Tycho Brahe and Comenius, as well as historic examples of Czech literature.
The architecture is a notable example of Baroque architecture and Klementinum, covering 20,000 square meters, is the second largest complex of buildings in Prague after the Prague Castle.